The kitchen is the heart of any home. But what if you are tired of the color of your kitchen cabinets?
Changing the colors of any furniture or appliances in your home may take some time. But there is no need to complete an expensive renovation project to make your kitchen cabinet look different.
Here is an easy-to-follow guide on how to change cabinet colors without emptying or replacing any expensive appliances. Let’s rock!
Update Kitchen Cabinets without Replacing Them
If you decide that you do not want to replace your old kitchen cabinets, you can paint them without replacing them. They will last much longer than if you were to replace them with new kitchen cabinets. A lot of people don’t realize this.
Once you paint the kitchen cabinets, most of the time, it looks like a brand new kitchen. If you are not happy with the amount of money that you have spent on your new kitchen cabinets and countertops, then this is another alternative that you might want to consider.
There is a great variety of colors that you can pick from. Many people like to go with colors that make them feel happy and the color of their kitchen cabinets. Other people like to go with colors that match their countertops.
Cost to Change Cabinet Color
If you have ever done any renovations in your home, you know how expensive it can be. Updating the kitchen cabinets will cost you a few dollars. But there is no need to empty your kitchen of its appliances and spruce up the kitchen cabinet color.
The average cost to change cabinet color is approximate $900-$4000. It charges $3 to $10 per square foot of painting surface area. It will cost $50 to $100 per door, done by a professional painter.
In fact, you can paint your kitchen cabinets and change the color to match the specific appliances that are already in your kitchen.
Start with the cabinets that are easily accessible, such as your kitchen island. Then repaint that drawer and change the color to match the rest of your kitchen. Paint those cabinets in a neutral color like white, grey, or beige.
After you have changed the color of these cabinets, it will be easier to change the rest of the kitchen.
Which is Cheaper? Paint or Replace Kitchen Cabinets?
If you plan to paint your kitchen cabinets, you need to know the costs and what it takes to complete this task. It will take approximately a day or two to complete this task.
The total costs of repainting kitchen cabinets will, in most cases, cost less than replacing the kitchen cabinets. Many people try to do this themselves, but it’s not something you will want to do independently.
Some professionals can help you to repaint the kitchen cabinets. With professional help, you will complete this task in less time and without spending too much money.
You will get a high-quality finish that matches all of the other surfaces in your kitchen. You might want to consider repainting your kitchen cabinets before you decide to buy new ones.
Take your time in choosing the right color for your kitchen cabinets, and you will end up saving money.
You May Also Like: Standard Kitchen Cabinet Sizes: Get the Right Number for You
Easy Steps to Paint Kitchen Cabinet
Take these steps to change the color of your kitchen cabinets.
- Step 1: Wipe off the cabinets with a damp cloth. If you paint your cabinets a light color, you will probably be cleaning off a good amount of grease and dirt. Light-colored paint will show the dirt, whereas a dark color will hide this neglect. If you are painting your kitchen cabinets black, you don’t have to worry about this step.
- Step 2: Sand down the spots that need it with sandpaper and a sander. A powerful sander will take off the paint and make it more even. Once you are done sanding, sweep away all the dust to not stick to your freshly painted cabinets. You can also use sandpaper if you do not have a sander handy.
- Step 3: Apply two coats of paint to the spots that need it. For lighter cabinets, use a very light color of paint. Darker colors, such as black, brown, or green, can also be used in this step.
- Step 4: After the second coat of paint has dried, touch up the spots that need it. You can also use a bright color (if you want to) or stain.
- Step 5: Wait about 24 hours before you clean the cabinets. This will help ensure that the cabinets are completely dry. If you touch wet paint, you will get a lot of paint on your clean hands, and it could end up damaging your project.
- Step 6: Use a mild cleanser, such as paint thinner, to clean off any excess paint or dust that remains. In this step, you will be cleaning off tiny bits of paint and dust that are not noticeable to the naked eye.
- Step 7: Use a towel to wipe away the cleaner. If there is any excess paint or dust, it will be on the towel. This will make it easier for you to clean the cabinets off in later steps.
- Step 8: Wipe off the cabinets again with a damp cloth.
- Step 9: Take a dry cloth and wipe down the cabinets to make them shiny and clean.
- Step 10: Change over the different parts of your kitchen. For example, you could paint your cabinets a different color than your countertops or floors so that it does not appear as though everything in your kitchen is the same color.
- Step 11: Hang out in your kitchen for about a week. See how the new color looks and how it affects your mood in the kitchen.
- Step 12: Notice how different all of the parts of your kitchen are. Notice how they all compliment each other.
Can you paint over old paint?
Unless you are a professional painter and have the luxury of getting food every day to paint with, then probably not.
You cannot cover some spots with the new color, so make sure you test it out on those spots. If you have dark cabinets and the white paint does not show up on them, then it is likely that you won’t be able to cover it.
Also, you will want to make sure that your new color will match all parts of your kitchen. If you are painting your cabinets and have dark spots, but the floor is very light, the color will not match.
How do I change the look of my kitchen cabinet doors?
You can change the look of your cabinets because you are allowed to do so. You can make new doors, change the color of your existing doors, or both.
Changing the look of your kitchen cabinet doors can give you a new way to feel about your kitchen. Changing the color can improve your mood in an instant. An enormous kitchen could cost you a ton of money.
How to change cabinet color without painting?
You can use a paint sealant or lacquer on the wood to protect it from future wear and tear. If your cabinets are recently installed, ask the installer for a sample of this product. This product is applied to the wood with a rag, then wiped off. It is not applied all over the surface. You can use it in the same room where you keep your food. You have to wipe it off after a day.
How to change the kitchen cabinet color to white?
If you want to paint the entire kitchen, you will have to repaint all of the wood surfaces with creamy white, natural, or eggshell. The most common color is white. You can use a water and vinegar solution to clean your cabinets.
Is it hard to paint oak cabinets white?
Oak cabinets are a very porous material made from hardwood. The main problem with painting oak cabinets is that it’s difficult to fill in the wood grain. The surface will be uneven and rough if you paint it white.
Changing the color of your kitchen cabinets can be a simple task. If you do not want to change the color entirely, changing it to another color will be just as simple.
Painting your kitchen cabinets can be a very inexpensive way to change the look of your kitchen. If you make your kitchen look good, it will seem like it is worth more money to potential buyers, and you will feel better about it.